Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Tangled Blob

Over the weekend, I decided that I was going to cast-on the Lacy Edge Tee that I got the pattern from Knit Picks. Well things didn't go quite according to plan. I actually got the first repeat done and then was working on the second and I dropped a stitch somewhere. So rather than frogging the whole thing, I decided that I was just going to cut it off and give it to the garbage. So I casted-on again, same thing happened only this time I didn't get quite that far. I must have casted-on about 6 times maybe more before I finally decided that I am just going to put it away and maybe attempt to do it at another time. I wasn't too happy with the yarn either. The color ended up having kind of a dirty look to it. Over the weekend, my daughter and I ended up visiting two LYS on Saturday and went back to one on Sunday. The first one is the Loop Yarn shop in Milwaukee. I bought some more Noro Kureyon in colorway 165. I should do a search in the Booga Bag gallery to maybe get an inkling as to what the colorway will actually look like. No such luck on the colorway search. I also ended up buying the rest of the Italian Cotton that they had in their clearance bin. I also got a pouch for my knitting notions. The mint color one that I was using was just too small for everything that I had. After we were done at the Loop, we decided that we were going to go over to KnitWits because I was thinking about picking up some more Opal for socks. Much to our surprise, she was closed and the place was cleaned out. When we went back to the Loop on Sunday, I found out that she basically closed up shop without notifying her customers and moved to another state. From there, we went to Barbara's Yarn Garden in Racine. This time the owner seemed a lot more helpful. She seems to carry a lot of Cascade. I ended up buying some wool for my daugther to knit a scarf. She picked a lime green color. I figured that could knit up a garter stitch scarf. I ended up spending a lot more money than I had intended but I invested in a lot of different sock yarn. Sunday after my weight watcher meeting, we went back to the Loop and I picked up some Noro Sakura yarn in colorway #3. I figured that I would use that to knit up the My So Called Scarf. I just bought two skeins on Sunday. I took my daughter out for lunch and we went briefly walking around the mall. After the yarn shop, we went to Regency Mall and I picked up a pair of shoes for her. Monday morning started out perfectly. I decided that I was going to cast-on during lunch for the My So Called Scarf but first I had to wind the yarn into a ball from the hank. Now this is totally where the fun starts! I thought that I would get the hank wound so I can take it to work. That was the plan, but the hank had another thought in mind. Wouldn't you know it, I got a quarter to a half of the hank wound when it decided that it was going to become a tangled mess. Well I had to go to work so I just put the tangled blob on the computer desk and went to work. During lunch, I tried to teach myself to knit using the magic loop method. That didn't work out too well, but I definitely was on the right track. I actually found a nice cozy place to knit. I stopped at the Weight Watchers center on my way home from work, I stopped to check to see if they got the new products that were coming in. I hit pay dirt. I picked up almost all the new products, now I can tell everyone how they actually are. Once I got home, I started working on the Tangle Blob. I actually got a brillant idea that worked. I took one of the larger bobbins that I had and found the loose end and started working backwards. It took me about 4 hours of patience but I untangled that blob. The blob is no more but a neat little pancake ball. Sunday, night I tried to teach my daughter the long-tail method for casting-on. She couldn't get it. So it looks like if she wants to do any knitting projects I am going to be doing the casting-on for her. I taught her the knit stitch. I was surprised at how quickly she picked it up. The only thing that she has a lot of problems with is turning it around to knit a new row. She knits with a very tight tension, I can hear the yarn squeaking. She gets very frustrated when she screws up at the end of the row. One of these times I am going to have to sit down with her and teach her how to fix that mistake and how to turn the row correctly. I am also going to go on a hunt for a solid light colored yarn, I figure that maybe help. I am not going to let her touch that lime green cascade yarn until she gets a lot better. I had a devil of a time to figure out how to work the stitches in the My So Called Scarf. I posted a question about it on the Knitter's Review Forum and I finally got the detailed instructions that I need. I am not sure if I want to cast-on the scarf or the socks during lunch today. I might just do the scarf or who knows maybe both. By the way, I have one more hank of Noro Sakura to wind into a ball. This time, I am going to make my DD stand with her arms out while I wind it up and keep my fingers crossed for no Blob2.

No comments: